Any trainer can upsell their clients during the training lessons and earn bonus money. Below are some mindsets and words to use and avoid, as well as how to get paid once you have secured their agreement.
1) Affection & Trust. The rule is, “If people LIKE you, then they will listen to you. They will at least hear you out. But if they TRUST you, then they will buy from you, they will follow you, and they will stay loyal to you.” So our job is merely to get people to like us (be friendly, smile, look sharp, make them feel great about themselves, listen with empathy, etc), and to trust us (be confident, be credible, look them in the eye, don’t flip flop, speak with belief and authority, etc).
2) Pressure. There is no need to pressure anyone or feel the need to persuade anyone. The rule is that people hate to be sold something, but people LOVE to buy. The first is something is that being done TO them; while the second is something that they are doing and are in control of. So we merely need to lay out options for people and let them freely choose.
3) Belief. Enthusiasm is the key to influence (and sales). If you are excited about it and think it’s the greatest thing, then you belief and enthusiasm will most likely be transferred to them so that they believe and are excited about it…and will want what you want.
4) Power Questions. The rule is, if you say it, then they might believe it but will probably forget it, but if they say it, not only do they believe it’s true, but they will remember it too. So instead of telling them about their pain, ask them about it. Instead of telling them what is so great about our company or our latest offering, ask them what they like about it. Our questions pierce their hearts, and their answers imprint emotions that will drive them to act.
5) Call Them to Action. You could do it all perfectly, but unless you call them to do something, then only 1 in 50 will. That is, if they are agreeing and shaking their heads and like what we are offering, then you must bring it all to a head with a final closing question…
“Well what do you think? Is this something you like? Is this something you want to try out?”
6) SW4. The saying is, “Some will, some won’t, so what, so who’s next?” That is, you can’t win them all, so if they say no, then move on to the next one. It’s good to let people have the freedom to choose, even if its a bad choice for them. Like a gold miner who digs out 1000’s of pounds of dirt in the mountain, we aren’t looking for the dirt; we are only looking for the gold. Likewise, we aren’t looking for the No’s, but just for those who like and want and believe what we do and want to buy the things we are offering.
7) Bad Thinkers. Most people, including us, are bad thinkers. We hardly have criteria or a decision-making process for the most important decisions in life (who we’ll marry, the careers we choose, the homes we live in, the religions we engage with, etc), much less the smaller decisions we make like food choices, vendor choices, entertainment choices, etc. So when someone rejects our offering or delays making a decision, just know that they are probably not thinking right and merely need some help. Find some great words below.
The Words To Open Up Dialogue
Use all of your words towards piquing their curiosity, arousing their pain and getting excited about how good life could be for them IF they would only take advantage of our offering. If you can get them to tune into the emotion of their problem - frustration, loneliness, insecurity, fear, pride, eagerness to be seen with status, etc - and you can get them to see that our offering will help them, then the time and money they will spend is NOT an issue.
To make this practical, you could use words like…
“Tell me more about your problems with…”
“I see that your dog is ______” or “I keep hearing you say that _______” or “You seem like the kind of family that likes ______” ….”and so I’m wondering if you’d be interested in our ______ program. Do you know what that is?”
“Have you heard of our _______ program that fixes those issues?”
“Listen, we had a lady around the corner with a dog who had the same problems yours does and she tried our _____ program. Here are the amazing results that she got….Isn’t that amazing!?”
“Have I told you about the ______ program that everyone is buying now? Oh my gosh, I haven’t!? People just love it! Ok, so….”
“When the demo trainer came out, he did tell you about _________ program? If not, I’m really surprised! Most of our clients with (this problem) get it and just RAVE about it!”
The Folks Who Need Help Thinking Well
If they say NO, then just say…
“I’m sure you have a good reason to say that, do you mind if I ask what it is?”
That is, instead of assuming that we know what the objection is, we want them to feel comfortable telling us, and when they do, we can merely ask them…
“Sure, I understand. And if that was dealt with, do you see any reason that you wouldn’t move forward with us?” THEN deal with the issue.
If they say, I WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT, then just say…
“Absolutely! I want you to be comfortable with your decision. What is your criteria for making this decision?”
That is, we merely want to expose that they have no criteria at all (because remember they aren’t thinking well) so we want to help them think through the categories and see that we are a perfect fit for their issues.
If they say, I WANT TO TALK IT OVER WITH MY SPOUSE, then just say…
“Oh sure, I understand. Let me ask you though, if this were your decision, do you see any reason why you wouldn’t move forward with us?"
That is, you are trying to unearth any hidden concerns that they have in a safe way. If they do, then deal with them; if not, then ask…
“Oh ok great. Well, do you see any reason why he/she wouldn’t go with your recommendation?”
1) The upselling trainer will inform the Lead Trainer (LT) of the upsell and then will add the additional lessons on the schedule.
2) The LT will execute the charge on the credit card and set aside another remote collar for that client.
3) The upselling Obedience Trainer (OBT) will request to be paid in the Payroll Request Form at the end of the week.
4) The Trainer’s Assistant (TA) will get the request and track it in the Sales and the Payroll spreadsheets and pay the OBT now that we’ve been paid.